Friday, July 11, 2008

Get to know Maarja

Hello oh mighty Estonians,

My name is Maarja Nurm and I’m the most wanted and most hated VP in MC...MC VP Finance 2008-2009...yes people come to me to get money and also they are afraid that i will not cover their expenses if they come too late. On the more people oriented side I’m also responsible of our adorable alumnaes.

I am currently 22 years old. My birthday is on 6th of March. I recently graduated Tartu University economics faculty with cum laude.

I like music. I have played violin for 10 years and although I do not play it anymore in public, I enjoy going to classical music concerts or see my musician friends. So you can call music as one of my hobby. I also try to keep myself active with sports so to balance somehow this sitting more than 8 hours a day in the office. During winter I go swimming and aerobics (oh yes...body pump is good) and during summer I enjoy riding a bicycle. Though half of our MC loves jogging I really avoid it as this is the sport I would never be good at.

I have never been crazy about any of the artists. And I have never really liked those mass bands/artists (Backstreet boys, Smilers, Madonna) I have avoided buying their CDs and going to their concerts. I’m more into music which has deeper meaning hidden inside and especially i like Estonian artists Jaan Tätte, Jääboiler, Dagö etc. From foreign ones Newton Faulkner, U2 (ok we can argue on that whether it is mass production or not). Also I like music from different cultures i.e Zimbabwe music is really good. Oh yes...and of course I cannot forget instrumental music like Montreal Guitar trio or Irish/Scottish music.

For the first time I like the work I’m doing. I mean that I have worked in several places before but going to MC office in every morning makes me feel happy and I really want to go there. This is the main reason why I like AIESEC...it has so many different angles, so you can truly say that you have got everything from one place: great professional experience, personal development, social events, friends and even private life:)

I joined AIESEC at my first university year in 2004, because I wanted to carry on my active organisational life which I had in highschool. As my brother was highly involved in BEST I saw how much benefits the organisation has to a person, so I also wanted that. Though in Tartu there was no BEST but AIESEC this was my one and only choice then. Also I had thoughts of getting international experience and this was also offered by AIESEC. So there were no question then whether to join or not. I’m planning to go to internship in Asia (Singapore) or Latin-America (Brazil). Will see how it works out.

Some pictures from my 1st year in AIESEC

This is me on my first leadership position...somehow I end up being OCP of Panka 2004


Tourch parade in December. These were the times when a lot of members participated at that


NTS 2005 and Estonian song and dance festival with my buddy Deniss:)

About blonde moments...I have had some, but somehow I have forgotten...

All the best,
Maarja

No comments: